Saturday, January 20, 2007

Web Services

Since my family also reads all of the posts for my class, I though I would start off with the definition of web services. A service provided by a website that can be accessed by anyone as long as they know how use the proper protocols to obtain the service. I was excited when we started talking about them in class, because my friend Nate Skousen and I were starting to develop a website that used Google's web service, Google Maps. The website address is www.ldstemplemaps.com. We want to make it the first stop for people trying to obtain information about LDS temples and we want to eventually expand to LDS places. It took us about two hours total to setup everything up. Web services are changing the web. It's so easy to do something like this with anything. I was thinking it would be a lot of fun for a family website. People could add anything they wanted to the map, simply by putting in a name, picture and address. You could create a personal Anderton family map with our own memory places. Hope that wasn't too technical family!

7 comments:

Seattle Jon said...

Matt - check out this site - http://www.wikimapia.org/. They are trying to "map" the world.

Texas Andertons said...

Yeah, I've seen it. I added Kenmore Elementary to the map. It would be a little more personal if we had only Anderton family places on it.

Mom A said...

Should I correct your spelling/grammar here or in an email?

Mom

Steve said...

Correct it here so I can see where to deduct points more easily.

Just kidding! ;-) I wonder, should I add points for family participation? After all, that shows real leadership. ;-)

Matt's doing a fine job and I'm really happy to have him in my classes this semester. Dr. Liddle

Mom A said...

Yes, Dr. Liddle, you SHOULD add points for family participation!:)

Matt's mom
------------------------------------------
Hey!---Amy, Katie, Emmett, Olivia, Ella, Will, Noah, Cher, Grandma, Grandpa, Barry, Sandi, Ric, Sharon, Dave, Kim, Rod, Marilyn, Tom, Beth, the entire Merrill/ Anderton family, everyone log on to Matt's blog!!!! He gets points! :)

Mom A said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Matt knoes how too spel lotts bettur then his unkle Tom.